Daniel Johnson Meeds, 1825-1908Contributed by Alfred Bruce Butler, great-great grandson of Daniel Meeds
|2 3 4 5 page »|
Daniel Johnson Meeds of this city died last evening about 6 o'clock, at 7 Orchard street, the home of his daughter, Mrs. Joseph L. Small, with whom he had made his home for several years
Deacon Meeds, as he is more familiarly known here, was the son of Artemas and Desire Meeds and was born in Denmark, Maine, April 20th, 1825. When a young man he left the home farm and went to Boston to work at carpentering with an older brother Cephas, who was a contractor at the time in the New England metropolis.
In 1842 he came to Biddeford and worked with his brother, Frank Meeds, who followed the same trade. Later his brother Cephas moved to Biddeford and the three brothers worked together, erecting some of the buildings that have figured prominently in the history of our city. Among these is the Simon Andrew's store at the corner of Elm and South streets and the brick basement house on Pool street near John Grant's store. Many of the houses on High and Sullivan streets were built by this same brotherhood, these streets being at that time the best residential part of the city
Cephas, the older brother, moved to New York, after some years and Mr. Meeds continued to work at his trade for a time, then his brother, Frank, went into the grocery business occupying during the last part of his business years the old Meeds block at the corner of Main and Alfred streets, which Daniel went to work in the old Water Power machine shops, not the Saco & Pettee.
|Owner/Source||Alfred Bruce Butler|
|File Size||1.75 KB|
|Folio version||v22.214.171.124 (4 Aug 2018)|
|Linked to||Daniel Johnson Meeds|
|Back to top page »|
This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 12.0.1, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2018.
Content copyright © 2005-2018 by William Bisbee.
Maintained by William Bisbee.